Thursday, October 02, 2008

The Economy

I was happy that the economic bill didn't pass the House the first time around, and I hope that's the case again. $700 billion to bail out Wall Street? Fuck 'em. They brought it on themselves. They took risks and messed up. Let em drown. I really hope it doesn't pass this time around or ever.


But the media would have us believe that the bill is in the people's best interest. Is it? They took a look at Main Street effects, that is how the crunch affects you and I, and I have to say their examples are pretty flimsy. Bankers? Realtors? Car dealers? Oh, I feel so bad for them. Don't you? {sacrasm}

People bought homes they were out of their reach. If they lose them, that's their problem. They should've thought about that before they thought they could afford a $300,000 home on a $20,000/year salary. I don't think we should reward stupidity. It took a long time for me to get into my home. It would've been nice to get a nicer home. We could definitely use some more room. But guess what? We bought within our budget. How irresponsible of us! We could've gotten so much more and then had Uncle Sam pay for our house for us!

Another thing the media cites as affecting normal Americans is how credit will be tougher to get. Maybe this is a good wake up call. How about people live within their means? Can't afford a brand new car or an i-Phone? Then don't buy one.

But how in the world did we get in this mess?
"Subprime lending."

I buy that, but how did all this get started? That is a story you don't hear much about. And it is a surprising story. Below is a link to a NY Post story from back in February. Read that and you'll understand why the media is avoiding mentioning it.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02052008/postopinion/opedcolumnists/the_real_scandal_243911.htm?

No comments: