Thursday, August 09, 2007

Small Town Excitement

At our local mall, we have a Borders Express. The only advantage of a Borders Express over a regular Borders Store is that the Express always has a "Literature Classics" section. I like to browse this section.



Today I found that they had 4 copies of the novel Ethan Frome. I tried to muffle my laughter as all the copies were incorrectly shelved under F for Frome rather than under W for Wharton. Can you believe it! Someone thought the book was named Edith Wharton and written by Ethan Frome!

When I could finally control myself, I went up to the help desk and asked the lady if she could help me find a book I was looking for. I told her it was titled "George Eliot" and that its author was Silas Marner.

After a few keystrokes she informed me of my "error." I told her that I was certain that the book was called "George Eliot" and there was no mistaking it.

She said they had the book Silas Marner written by George Eliot, but that was all. Would I like to see that book, she asked as she was already coming out from behind the counter to lead me to the "Classic Literature" section.

I told her that she was being rude. I asked if making a sale was all she cared about because she obviously didn't care whether I was getting the book I was interested in. I didn't want some other stupid book, yet there she was trying to trick me into buying it. I told her I'd be taking my business elsewhere and stormed out.

Small town life can be pretty intense sometimes. I hope they learned their lesson!

No comments: