Monday, February 12, 2007

Shazam!

I don't read many comic books, but I still have my favorites from when I was a kid. I loved Excaliber, She-Hulk, and all incarnations of Flash Gordon, and whenever I go into a comic book store I love to see what classics they've got. Another title I check up on is Shazam! I loved Shazam! when I was younger, especially the Saturday morning cartoon.

Shazam! is the name of the series, but the hero's name is actually Captain Marvel. When DC comics bought the rights to this comic in the 70's from a defunct Fawcett Publishing and started the series back up after a hiatus of 30 years, Marvel Comics had already trademarked the name and Shazam! became the new comic title. It's tough to find the older comic (Captain Marvel) but I recently found an issue from the 1940's and was surprised by the cover.


I cannot believe how prevalent and accepted racism was by my grandparents' generation. They were called the Greatest Generation but somehow the name doesn't quite seem appropriate.

No comments: