Saturday, March 25, 2006

Take Me Out

I haven't been to a play in while so part of me was ready to like anything that would be thrown at me but I can honestly say that I really enjoyed Take Me Out. It's a Tony Award Winning play about a famous baseball player who, at the height* of his fame, reveals that he is gay. It's a strange mixture of comedy and melodrama that is awkward at times but works for the most part. It's also one of that rare breed of gay-themed plays that doesn't nosedive into an AIDS message. In fact, AIDS is not mentioned at all. But I'm not going to go through and give it a review because I've got a friend who's going to do that (and much better than I could do anyhow). However, I did want to point something out; the last time I went to the theatre was a few months ago and the similarites between tonight and that experience are a bit uncanny:

1. Both plays were at the Las Vegas Little Theatre.
2. Both plays revolved around gay themes.
3. At both plays, the audience was largely male.
4. I was invited by and accompanied by K---- to both plays.
5. Both plays had copious, and I mean copious, amounts of full frontal male nudity.

I'm not making any inferences by this; I'm just putting it out there. It seems that it must mean something though.


* Notice that "height" does not follow the "i" before "e" except after "c" rule.

No comments: